JOB TITLE: Women’s Conversation Group & Community Engagement Volunteer Assistant
RESPONSIBLE TO: Engagement Worker
LOCATION: CLEAR Office 2 James Street SO14 1PJ
TIMINGS: Fridays from 12.45pm – 2:15pm only.
MAIN PURPOSE OF ROLE:
To support the Engagement Worker in running the women’s conversation group as a safe space for CLEAR learners and clients to discuss social, cultural and health issues affecting them and their families. To support learners to build confidence in their conversational skills as well as in their capacity for community engagement.
- Support the running of the women’s conversation group for clients and learners on Fridays 12:45 – 2:15pm (setting up the room, preparing resources, etc).
- Provide planning input on topics for discussion, opportunities in the community to be promoted and potential external speakers; feedback the views of learners when planning
- Participate in discussions with learners, eliciting, encouraging and responding to their contributions
- Support learners with low levels of English to access the discussion and make simple contributions (possibly through translation support)
- Promote attendance at the conversation group amongst CLEAR’s women learners
- Support the Engagement Worker in giving accurate information about community engagement opportunities and local services
- Report any health and safety/safeguarding concerns to the Engagement Worker
- Comply with the Health and Safety instructions, taking due care of your own health and safety and that of the students.
- Attend training as agreed; Fire Safety, Prevent and Safeguarding training are mandatory
- Give advance notice if not able to attend any sessions. Please contact Rowan on email@example.com.
- Personal experience of, or a good understanding of, the challenges faced by women migrants settling in to UK communities and building a life in the UK
- Strong communication skills and an ability to discuss issues of cultural difference with sensitivity and respect
- Passionate about empowerment through learning and community engagement
- Excellent listening skills (including listening to those with limited English)
- Good English language skills.
- Friendly with a good sense of humour
- Ability to speak a community language
- Experience of working or learning within an educational or health service setting with adults or young people
- Knowledge of women’s health issues and services and/or knowledge of parenting issues and support services
- Good local knowledge and links in the community
- Experience of supporting the learning of English language learners
- An understanding of the barriers to learning that migrant women may face.
Please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at:
Potential volunteers are welcome to come and visit before deciding to volunteer.