CLEAR IT Volunteer (Drop-in)
VOLUNTEER ROLE DESCRIPTION
JOB TITLE: IT Volunteer
RESPONSIBLE TO: Engagement Worker
LOCATION: CLEAR Office 2 James Street SO14 1PJ
TIMINGS: Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 9.30am-2.00pm only.
MAIN PURPOSE OF ROLE:
To support the learning of clients attending Work Club and ESOL learners. Many clients access the work club as they need help with the English or the computer skills to fill online applications. However, they are not readily available to attend longer IT courses so these bite-sized opportunities to teach & learn will be crucial to their confidence building with respect to their computer skills. Learners from ESOL are also encouraged to attend to access self-study websites for accelerating their learning, to develop their IT skills (e.g. use of email) or to access online trainings (e.g. Food Hygiene or Driving Theory).
- Running weekly drop-in IT sessions on Tuesday or Wednesdays 9.30-2:30pm for clients and learners.
- Maintain a register of all attendees and stay in the room at all times while the session is running.
- Talk to learners about their English learning and their IT needs and skills. Support learners to identify relevant learning materials.
- Support learners to access online courses and resources eg practice for Life in the UK test or Driving Theory test.
- Support learners to develop IT skills eg. web-searching.
- Maintain brief notes of what learners did and were supported with. The focus of these sessions should be on skill progression.
- Help with setting up / putting away equipment if needed, e.g. laptops.
- Support learners with form filling if requested by tutors or managers.
- Comply with the Health and Safety instructions, taking due care of your own health and safety and that of the students.
- Give advance notice if not able to attend any sessions. Please contact Rowan on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Experience of working or learning within an educational setting with adults or young people.
- Experience of IT, e.g. using word processing, email and internet packages.
- Good communication skills.
- Patient and encouraging.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- English language skills.
- Calm and patient
- Some knowledge of online English learning materials and websites
- Experience of working with people from different cultures would be an advantage
- ESOL /other teaching qualification.
Potential volunteers are welcome to come and visit before deciding to volunteer.
Please upload a CV or supporting letter if possible. Note: you will be required to complete an application form too.