CLEAR IT and Digital Learning Volunteer LSA
VOLUNTEER ROLE DESCRIPTION
JOB TITLE: IT and Digital Learning Volunteer LSA
RESPONSIBLE TO: Engagement Worker
LOCATION: CLEAR Office 2 James Street SO14 1PJ
TIMINGS: Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 9.30am – 1.00pm only.
MAIN PURPOSE OF ROLE:
To support the digital and ESOL learning of CLEAR learners and clients and build their confidence in accessing resources, services and learning opportunities online. To facilitate and support online learning to develop learners’ language skills, literacy, digital literacy and digital skills. To encourage independent learning in ESOL learners.
- Running weekly drop-in IT sessions on Tuesday or Wednesdays 9.30-1:00pm for clients and learners.
- Talk to learners about their English learning and their digital needs and skills (needs assessment). Support learners to identify relevant, useful learning materials and opportunities.
- Support learners to access online courses, learning opportunities and resources eg. Learn My Way, ESOL Nexus, Food Hygiene, Life in the UK test and Driving Theory test.
- Support learners to develop IT skills e.g. using a search engine, using email – on a computer and on their own phones.
- When necessary, support learners with basic literacy needs (reading) when accessing online resources.
- Talk to learners to chat about progress and make suggestions for further learning.
- Maintain brief notes of what learners did and were supported with. The focus of these sessions should be on skill progression. Maintain a register of all attendees.
- Help with setting up / putting away equipment if needed, e.g. laptops.
- Comply with the Health and Safety instructions, taking due care of your own health and safety and that of the students.
- Give advance notice if not able to attend any sessions. Please contact Rowan on email@example.com.
- Experience of working or learning within an educational setting with adults or young people.
- Experience of supporting the learning of English language learners.
- Confident with IT, e.g. using word processing, email and internet.
- Good communication skills and ability to work well with people from different cultures.
- Passionate about encouraging learning and motivating others
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Strong English language and literacy skills.
- Calm, patient and friendly
- Some knowledge of online English learning materials and websites
- ESOL /other teaching qualification.
- An interest in issues around literacy and digital exclusion
Potential volunteers are welcome to come and visit before deciding to volunteer.
Please upload a CV or supporting letter if possible. Note: you will be required to complete an application form too.