VOLUNTEER ROLE DESCRIPTION
JOB TITLE:Archivist Volunteer
RESPONSIBLE TO:Project Manager
TIMINGS:Home-based opportunity, minimum of 4 h a week, a 6-12 month commitment is preferable.
LOCATION: Home-based, with some office time required to sift through old articles?
MAIN PURPOSE OF ROLE:
CLEAR is a charity that supports refugees and migrants. CLEAR is entering its 20th year, and we want to capture the history of our organisation to help us to celebrate what our volunteers and staff have been able to achieve in this time. We want to capture the small things as well as the big things, and record how the whole refugee sector has changed, what the challenges were and how we and our sister organisations met those challenges.
It will involve sifting through old material – photos, documents, newspaper cuttings and other artefacts – and interviewing the people involved – clients, learners, volunteers, staff, trustees and partners, past and present – to get their personal stories of life at CLEAR and what they’re doing now.
It will also involve setting up a mechanism for recording our history as we go forward into the 2020’s in stories, photographs and video.
- This role will involve gathering and sifting through old material – photos, documents, newspaper cuttings and other artefacts
- Interview the people involved – clients, learners, volunteers, staff, trustees and partners, past and present – to get their personal stories of life at CLEAR and what they’re doing now.
- It will also involve setting up a mechanism for recording our history as we go forward into the 2020’s in stories, photographs and video.
- Generating and researching content in order to provide material for our website and social media
- Organise and digitise any materials found
- Arrange, organise and catalogue the archive to make it easily accessible to staff and researchers.
- Maintain an accurate catalogue of archive material, including brief condition reports.
- Working alongside CLEAR staff to prepare for CLEAR’s 20th Birthday in May 2021 prepare relevant archive displays (and online) for the benefit of members of the public.
- To liaise with volunteer coordinator, CLEAR Staff, website volunteer and design volunteer as well as other CLEAR staff from time to time.
- To undertake additional duties may be required
- Love of history, research or archives.
- Passion for refugee issues
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Very good English
- A familiarity with old and new media storage and production techniques.
- Good research and communication skills
- Experience in cataloguing,
- Database expertise
- strong organisational and administrative skills
- Attention to detail and strategic thinking
- Able to maintain confidentiality
- Able to work independently
- Background in journalism or historical research
- local knowledge
- lived experience (Refugee?)
- Interviewing techniques.
- Background knowledge of the migrant situation in the UK