CLEAR AMC Games Volunteer
VOLUNTEER ROLE DESCRIPTION
JOB TITLE: Games Volunteer
RESPONSIBLE TO: Learning and Development Manager
LOCATION: Avenue St. Andrews Church SO17 1XQ
TIMINGS: Fridays from 9:30am-2:00pm. A commitment of 6 months is preferable.
MAIN PURPOSE OF ROLE:
To assist with welcome and engagement of AMC service users
- To organise and initiate social interaction amongst service users through playing table top games. Engaging in simple conversation and within a welcoming atmosphere that is always open to newcomers joining.
- Advertising that this activity is available for everyone at the centre and encourage a diverse mix of participants (including service users and volunteers not on duty at the time) so that it is an opportunity for integration for participants and informal contact with a variety of people.
- Through informal friendly contact, take opportunities through conversation to inform new service users of the services and opportunities available through the partnership drop-in and how to access appointments through the reception desk.
Organising table top games
- Arrive at Avenue Multicultural centre at 09:30 to get the games out of the storage space and set them up on the designated table. Be available at 14:00 to put the games away.
- When Service users arrive make sure they know they are welcome to take part in the programme and are welcome to use the games in their own social groups.
- Encourage users in interaction with other participants and spoken communication (improving English language skills)
Provide information about other services within the Avenue Multicultural Centre Drop-in
- Provide the service users with information about the other services/ activities and charitable organisations available at the AMC e.g. advice, support, drama group, music group, food distribution, clothing events, befriending, IT drop-in (The British Red Cross, SWVG, CLEAR).
- Ensure that all service users have checked in/out of the service at reception
- Be aware of people sitting alone or looking unfamiliar with environment- be available to welcome them to take part in playing the table top games or watch.
- Available from 9.30-2pm on Fridays (desirably Inc. holidays)
- Friendly and patient with people who speak English as a second language
- Sympathetic with refugees
- Good at taking direction and Lead from Learning and Development Manager, raising any issues at an appropriate time, away from the busy Drop-in services and clients. Periodically sharing the practical experience of carrying out the role to identify any opportunities to expand the role, if required, according to client need and CLEAR’s capacity.
- Aware of other facilities available at drop-in service
- Able to work in a team of volunteers
- Patience to first fully understand the constraints of our delivery by observation and own experience so that any ideas presented for improvements take into account our constraints (time, funding etc.)
- Speak a second language other than English i.e. Arabic, Kurdish, Iranian, Farsi, Urdu
Please upload a CV or covering letter if possible, provide your email address and phone number so we can contact you. Note: you will be required to complete an application form too.
Potential volunteers are welcome to come and visit before deciding to volunteer.