CLEAR AMC Catering Assistant
VOLUNTEER ROLE DESCRIPTION
JOB TITLE: Catering Assistant
RESPONSIBLE TO: Learning and Development Manager
LOCATION: Avenue St. Andrews Church SO17 1XQ
TIMINGS: Fridays from 9:30am-2:00pm. A commitment of 3 months is preferable.
MAIN PURPOSE OF ROLE:
To ensure that a quality catering service, provided in line with agreed procedures is provided to all AMC attendees.
- Keep all assigned areas (kitchen, food store cupboards and food serving areas) clean and tidy at all times.
- Prepare food as required in the kitchen.
- Wash up, as required.
- Generally clean up the kitchen.
- Clear tables so that our customers always have a clean and welcoming environment in which to eat.
- Provide a high quality service at all times.
- Assist customers with queries in a prompt, professional, courteous and friendly manner, so that customer care standards are met.
- In case of emergency, ensure all aspects of security, fire and emergency procedures for assigned area are carried out, so that Avenue Multicultural Centre practices are adhered to.
- Report any unsafe practices or broken machinery/ equipment to the Lead Kitchen Volunteer, so that remedial action can be reported to the Church office immediately.
- Report any accidents to the Lead Volunteer for the shift and log in the Accident Book as appropriate.
- Use all equipment as trained observing all safe practices, so that accidents are avoided.
- Undertake and constantly apply the training from a Food Safety training course.
- Let colleagues know when you are taking a break since they are covering for you and may be waiting for your return.
Provide information about other services within the Avenue Multicultural Centre Drop-in
- Provide the service users with information about the other services/ activities and charitable organisations available at the AMC e.g. advice, support, drama group, music group, food distribution, clothing events, befriending, IT drop-in (The British Red Cross, SWVG, CLEAR).
- Able to work as part of a team.
- Good personal skills in line with the requirements of a kitchen environment (eg long hair should be tied back, no dangling jewellery or flowing garments).
- Good communication skills.
- Well motivated.
- Available from 9.30-2pm on Fridays (desirably Inc. holidays)
- Friendly and patient with people who speak English as a second language
- Sympathetic with refugees
- Good at taking direction and Lead from Learning and Development Manager, raising any issues at an appropriate time, away from the busy Drop-in services and clients. Periodically sharing the practical experience of carrying out the role to identify any opportunities to expand the role, if required, according to client need and CLEAR’s capacity.
- Aware of other facilities available at drop-in service
- Able to work in a team of volunteers
- Patience to first fully understand the constraints of our delivery by observation and own experience so that any ideas presented for improvements take into account our constraints (time, funding etc.)
- Speak a second language other than English i.e. Arabic, Kurdish, Iranian, Farsi, Urdu
- Hold a Food Hygiene Certificate.
- Experience of working in a catering environment.
- An understanding of customer service.
CLOSING DOWN AMC KITCHEN ROUTINE
When closing down the kitchen, please ensure that the:
- Dishwasher is turned off.
- Water heater off.
- Tables and surfaces are wiped down with surface cleaner and cloth.
- Distribute any fresh leftover rolls amongst attendees.
- Make a note with the date of non-perishables such as tea, coffee, tuna, sugar etc and place in corridor cupboard.