CLEAR Advice Receptionist
VOLUNTEER ROLE DESCRIPTION
JOB TITLE: Receptionist, Advice
RESPONSIBLE TO: Advice Staff
LOCATION: CLEAR Office 2 James Street SO14 1PJ
TIMINGS: Tuesdays: 9:30-4:00pm
The same day each week is expected and we offer £3 towards lunch. A 6 month commitment is preferable.
Reception Volunteer’s first and most important role is to welcome our clients, visitors and learners as they are the “1st impression of CLEAR as an organisation” as they are the first point of contact whether face to face or over the phone. The receptionist will be responsible for meeting people when they arrive at CLEAR for Advice service and other CLEAR services. The role will be able to provide a booking in and out service for attendees to the Advice as well as booking clients new appointments either in person or by phone.
- Meet and greet clients, learners and visitors with a warm welcome and determine the purpose of their visit.
- Ask visitors proactively if they have an appointment with anyone
- Arrive at shifts punctually and remain at Reception Desk throughout the shift
- Maintain and manage the Advice service appointment system- asserting the urgency and extent of enquiry and directing clients accordingly
- Book appointments for people who ask by telephone or call in person and cannot be seen on the day. As well as advising about the drop-in waiting list and signposting customers to a more relevant agency when necessary.
- Record all advice clients (appointments and drop-in) in day book, signing them in and out.
- Be courteous and helpful to all customers, sensitively handling any upset or frustrated clients, whilst being assertive where necessary to ensure compliance with CLEAR procedures.
- Deal with basic enquiries and take messages for staff and volunteers.
- Attend incoming calls and taking messages for staff who do not work on that day and transfer call as appropriate to available staff (not when with client!). Respond to callers enquiries on which days/times they can access the other services throughout the week.
- If time permits, to conduct work with clients such as reading/interpreting simple letters, assisting customers to use a landline and computer to make their own enquiry or to complete simple forms.
- Undertake general office duties as necessary (for example answering telephone enquiries, photocopying, scanning, use of fax machine, filing, shredding etc).
- Remind service users that it is their responsibility to look after their children and belongings. Look out for unattended bags or belongings and try to find out who they belong to.
- Keeping reception area tidy
- To undertake any other duties as may be required
- Excellent communication skills and customer service approach
- Regular commitment
- Friendly and cheerful manner on phone and face to face
- Administration skills for maintaining lists, passing on messages/info and photocopying
- Able to use own initiative within boundaries
- Assertive and confident
- Able to maintain confidentiality
- Good teamwork skills
- Good listener
- Customer service experience
- Experience of working in an office environment
- Previous receptionist experience
Please make sure you meet the minimum requirements below and upload a CV or covering letter if possible. Do not forget to supply your email and phone number so we can contact you. Note: you will be required to complete an application form too.
Potential volunteers are welcome to come and visit before deciding to volunteer.